I am currently in the lounge, awaiting my departure to Bangkok Thailand. Singapore was great - I thought I'd list some random notes about the city/state:
- Everyone backs in when parking. Most cars have the sensor detector (beep beep beep).
- Not much speeding goes on - maybe 10-20km over the limit (and yes, they are metric)
- Food courts are a primary way of eating for locals as they don't cook as much from home. They are relatively inexpensive - a meal at a restaurant for 4 in the tourist area was 200-300 USD for 4, where a meal in a local food court (food just as good) is $40 USD for 4 people!
- Alcohol, however, is ridiculously expensive. A beer (ie corona or tiger) can be as much as 12 canadian dollars! This is due to high taxes. Cigarettes are also expensive, but relatively on par with Canada.
- No cars over 10 years old. There is a 10k tax for a new car.
- Cars are 3x expensive. Example, something like a cheap kia would be 45k new.
- They do drive on the other side of road (colonized by brits).
- Many dinners are shared plates with a platform in the middle to spin. At food courts you share as well.
- Don't see much cheese anywhere.
- They are attempting to build out for tourism - ie a casino is being built on the east coast.
- Largest ferris wheel in the world is here - bigger than the london eye
- No issues whatsoever with food/water - could even drink tap water at hotel. This will definitely NOT be the case in Thailand!
- English is the primary language - most speak it (except for foreign workers)
- Everyone must do 2 yrs in army.
- City has a lot of green. There are some skyscrapers in the financial area (about same at toronto). However, there are 20-30 story buildings everywhere.
- There is some concern for terror attacks. When parking under a banking building we were searched (non-intrusive though).
FYI - the picture displayed is in the financial area - it is a row of restaurants/bars that is popular after work.